Monday 16 November 2015

Surrounding yourself with the right people

Recently I have been thinking a lot about my future, it’s dawned upon me that if I want to achieve my dreams I have to start working towards them right now. Once upon a time I was the girl who would just focus on useless stuff and procrastinate a lot whilst avoiding the real importance of life; today I'm a woman with an ambition, a woman with a goal and strong mind-set.

It’s taken time to truly grow into myself and be strong enough to believe that I can make anything happen for myself as long as I work hard for it. My perspective on life has changed so drastically over a period of time that I sometimes question who I was before…

We’re all going to go through a time in our lives when we question our motives and where we’re heading in life the most important thing is to stay true to ourselves and focus on what we want out of life. People can change, when I was younger I always let my imagination run wild, I used to participate in every activity imaginable just because I knew I could, I wrote stories every week with the dream that one day they’d be published whilst I was winning medals in Olympic games alongside being a part time Paediatric doctor. I Then grew into my teenage years where I realised life isn't so easy, I got myself into the habit of losing focus of what I really wanted, every year I changed my career goal, I was lost in myself. I could say at a point in my life I was just following the crowd, Albert Einstein once stated:

“The one who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd, the one who walks alone is likely to find themselves in places no one has ever been”

It’s easy to conclude that this quote can be embraced by everyone; it is simple to get caught in the cycle of following what people around us are doing. If we’re around lazy people, we can soon become those ourselves, if we’re around people with no aim in life we could also soon lose aim for what we want for ourselves.

I think it’s partially to do with the idea of social conformity and instinctively; we want to go with what the majority are doing. We want to feel part of a group and that we belong so that eventually, our actions and thoughts begin to mimic those who we spend our time with. As of this we need to think about whether the people we interact with the most are the ones who are going to lift us up higher and help us achieve our goals.

Going back to my sporting days, my best performances were not the ones when I was training, but they were the ones when I competing alongside the people who also had the same aim of achieving the goal they wanted. In reality we saw each other competitors but psychologically we were encouraging each other to do the best that we could. This is exactly the same concept we should take on every day in our lives, to surround our minds with people who also want to achieve something out of life, it doesn't have to be the same goal, but as long as they’re there to encourage your goal through them pursuing their own goal you've found a positive influence.


It’s key to always remember that the negative people we may follow might not be in our lives in 5, 10, 20 years from now and what would you be doing then? Step away from following crowd, become who you are and create your own crowd of people that will guide you into your very own path of success.

0 comments:

Post a Comment