Wednesday 18 November 2015

Tips to my younger self

Today is my 20th and it’s overwhelming to think that I’ve been on this earth for 20 good years. I read an article which stated:

How you spend your 20s is hugely important for determining who you'll become — personally and professionally — in the future.”

Now that I’m in this new defining decade it’s time for me to renovate my life, but as I look back, there are many things I wish I acknowledged when younger. Undoubtedly I came across great tips and insights, but my ignorant-self chose not to put any consideration to them, leading me to be my own worst enemy. In this instance I'm going to give a few helpful tips to be mindful of whilst growing up.


1.       Pay no mind it irrelevant factors in your life: negative people, needless materialistic things, negative emotions, mindless disagreement.
My tip is that if it’s going to be irrelevant in years’ time it’s not worth stressing over now


2.       Read books that challenge you
I used to be a book worm around the ages of 8 to 13; I neglected increasing my knowledge by not upholding my standards. Knowledge is power, the more you know the better advantage you have, you’ll never fail by reading books

3.       Exercise, Drink more water, look after yourself
Water is my holy grail at the moment; drinking water is so beneficial for the body, treating your body as a temple from a young age will reduce the risks of illnesses at a later stage in life

4.       Stop judging
This is a difficult one, sometimes passing judgements comes as a natural instinct, but we have to be aware that we’re not perfect ourselves, everyone has flaws, belittling someone else won’t make our flaws any less imperfect.

5.       Participate in hobbies
Reiterating my childhood, I used to be very engaged in activities until my ego told me I was above that, I cannot stress enough how engaging in hobbies throughout your years will be so valuable when you’re older, you’ll have something to talk about in job interviews and applications, it gives you an lead as it shows your motivation and determination.

6.       Take time to be alone
When you spend time alone, it allows you to think about life, who you are, want you want and what you need to do to be the person you want to be.

7.       Stop worrying too much
Worrying is like going outside with an umbrella waiting for it to rain

8.       Don’t fear everything
Fear is the mind’s way of stopping you from doing something, fear is not real, and it’s a figment of your imagination

9.       Be self-reliant
Learning from early on to be independent will set the foundation for independence when older

10.   Learn a different language
Being bilingual can make you stand out and it teaches you an appreciation for others trying to learn your language

11.   Social media is not your life
Posting too much personal information on social media gives other people the tool to hurt you and pass judgements about your life, the less people know the happier you will be

12.   Love yourself
Constantly perceiving yourself in a negative light will only make you hate yourself, learn to love yourself and make the right changes to improve how you feel about yourself

13.   HAVE FUN
This doesn't mean be reckless, but do things that you enjoy and do lots of it
There are many more tips I could share but those set a good foundation. If you have your own life tips that you’d like to share with your old-self please share it in the comments below.
  



2 comments: